Monday, April 22, 2013

Suicidal Oak by Kimberly Coverly

Ansel Adams - Oak Tree













Suicidal Oak by Kimberly Coverly

For decades I have been standing right here,
Although I have not always been alone
Brothers, comrades; hit at the knees they fall.
I should lucky, left to live and breath.
Yet I see this as the worst of all fates,
Left established here, no way to end it.

Over the years I have tried to tell them,
I drooped my branches hoping they would see
That I am sad and no longer want life.
But they see nothing but beauty in me,
I hear them speak of me as majestic,
They keep ignoring my suicide cries.

That old man with the grey beard is the worst,
I have done him a favor by staying,
He has made millions of dollars off me.
But he has doomed me to eternity.
I hear those men in polished suits, they say
“Famous! We will never kill this beauty!”

I want to thank those lovers who slash me,
Those gashes allow me to feel something,
So, when they sit beneath me I shade them,
The breeze from my weathered leaves cools their skin.
I let my timeworn roots support their date
I want to recognize their helping hands.

I am impatiently awaiting death.
But, I don’t see it in the near future,
That man with the shiny black contraption
Has sealed my fate for centuries to come.
Though I will stand here dark and ominous,
Hoping to hear the roar of a chainsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment