Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ironed By: Kilee De La Cruz

Fiona Fiona Fiona
My name echos from my mother's mouth
It never stops, just continuing like broken record
Stuttering and uttering the same set of words
My name isn't my name, it's my chain.

My hair pulled back, not a hair out of place
So nearly pushed back, clothes straight as a pin
Ironed so nice, for a nice day by the lake
"For if it's not all in place, you won't find a man"
Mother knows best, or that's what she likes to think

Fiona Fiona Fiona
The name scratches against my temples
"Why do you not listen to me, child"
For I'm not a child but a young women.
Lost in thought, dreaming about my escape.
Looking at my bundle of flowers
Dreaming of a warm embrace from my lover.

"You shall stay pure until your wedding day"
For what she doesn't know, won't hurt her
Mr. Vladmir Finbar is his name.
He and I have been secretly dating
Sneaking away, sharing moments be hide my mother's back.
Unseen touches stolen at risky times.
Veiled words expressed in the silent night.
For it is love that we share, and it shall not stop

Fiona Fiona Fiona
I tilt my head, pretending I'm listening
My eyes gaze over at the man sitting down with the cane.
Our eyes meet, and I know that I'm finally home
Nothing shall separate us soon, not even a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment