Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jaded Lady by Kathleen Fellows


This weather is terrible to be in,
with the sand eating my polished mary janes
and the wind doing its best for my hat
that I saved months of salary to buy.

The ignorant masters cannot see me,
even though they look directly at me.
They are rich and spoiled with no manners
and were never taught to think of others.
Their cute whim troubles Mr. Hughes and I.
Mr. Hughes is professionally nice
and is remarkable at hiding hate.
He even sings for them as if he cares.

Perhaps he really does love the masters.
I never could find a job I cared for
or even willed myself to show up to.
That is precisely how I got to this,
the lowest point in my lower class life.

It was always hard not to blame my parents
but who else’s fault would this sad life be?
I’ve grown only to blame the wealthy now,
which I’m sure grandmother would have hated,
much like the masters’ improper dancing.
How could you have so much time and money
and not know where to put your silly hand?
I suppose anything about a wife,
no, a trophy wife is truly silly.

I never ever want to get married,
even though Mr. Hughes insists on it.
I don’t want a husband or a wife, no.
I only want to get out of this wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment