Monday, April 29, 2013

The Black Drink by Amy Cotter


I used to hate it when my dad made it,
that strong aroma wafting through the house.
It woke me up every weekend morning,
dragging me to the kitchen for breakfast.
I would stare at the black liquid falling,
filling the pot with its bitter, gross taste.
“Sick,” I thought, grabbing the cereal box,
“why would someone bother making this drink?”

The worst part was he would offer me some;
moving it back and forth, to hypnotize.
No light ever shown through that liquid mess.
It was the black hole blend for bold drinkers,
trying to pull me into its vortex.
“Sick,” I uttered grabbing my bowl and spoon,
“why do you drink that stuff every day, dad?”

Starbucks started to tempt me as I aged.
Their Frappuccinos my own gateway drug
to what is now my drink of choice: coffee.
If I was to go there with my dad,
he would ask I would like a coffee.
A Frappucciono would be my request,
and on his face grew a look of disgust.
“Sick,” he said grabbing his cup of dark roast,
“those foofy drinks are not how I raised you.”

I learned this the hard way in childhood,
my dad showing me true taste in drinks.
Coffee is coffee, black as night, always.
Cream and sugar is acceptable too.
But, put it in a blender, that’s taboo.
Those are foofy drinks, not coffee, you fool.

_______________________________________________

BY EDWARD HIRSCH
I used to mock my father and his chums
for getting up early on Sunday morning
and drinking coffee at a local spot
but now I’m one of those chumps.

No one cares about my old humiliations
but they go on dragging through my sleep
like a string of empty tin cans rattling
behind an abandoned car.

It’s like this: just when you think
you have forgotten that red-haired girl
who left you stranded in a parking lot
forty years ago, you wake up

early enough to see her disappearing
around the corner of your dream
on someone else’s motorcycle
roaring onto the highway at sunrise.

And so now I’m sitting in a dimly lit
cafĂ© full of early morning risers
where the windows are covered with soot
and the coffee is warm and bitter.

1 comment:

  1. "moving it back and forth, to hypnotize."

    I really like this line. Hypnotize is such a great word to use here. As if he wanted to entice you with his coffee and drag you down with him but you weren't going to fall for it. Great word choice!
    Natalie Frenette

    ReplyDelete