Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spring is in Corvallis By Melissa Campana


Spring is in Corvallis


Cement and tanbark meet
The wood holding leaves
And fallen buds
It may be aesthetically pleasing
But I remember falling
Into the tanbark
After I got in a fight with a boy
In elementary school.
When I got home my mom
Used tweezers to pick
And pick
All of the microscopic
Shards of a heartbreak
From my tiny palms.
I say hello today
To the industrious ants
Marching underneath the shadows
Of the honey bees
Caressing each anther they land on
Undisturbed by the man across the street,
speaking
So loudly, that each passerby
Stares at his conversation.
His companion, surely embarrassed,
Is trying to configure
Some sort of
Escape.
I myself am familiar
With such a discomfiture.
When Jason drinks
We have the whole room’s attention
He gets ireful stares
While Jaynie gets sympathetic eyes
From every other wife in the room
The next day
He will bring her flowers
Not quite as brilliant
As those in bunches
Gathered on the branches
Of a garden
Thankful spring is here at last.

1 comment:

  1. "When I got home my mom
    Used tweezers to pick
    And pick
    All of the microscopic
    Shards of a heartbreak
    From my tiny palms."

    I felt a strong connection to these lines. I think it's one of those things that we can all relate to in some way, but you said it in a way that speaks deeper than "I was upset."
    -Megan Windom

    ReplyDelete