Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Character in the Painting by Kody Cayson


I haven’t seen him around town lately.
The years have been good to him, very good.
The limp from war past is almost gone,
Still amazed he made it home, thought he died.

Life could be so different if only.
If only I waited, he made it back.  
How could he fall for her though, she is so
Odd. She lacks in thought, but excels in symmetry.

What is she doing! Wearing black on such
A sultry day! And who has a monkey,
And keeps it on a leash! Preposterous!
Oh Mr. Jones, I bet you’re jealous now.

I wonder if he still wants me, does he?
I wonder, does he even see me here…?
Oh, Mr. Jones please just look at me…
You lucky girl, I wish that could be me.

What am I saying! He is just a man,
Like any other, there’s more fret about.
Like Bella, who’s father left before she
Was born. Not his fault, he couldn’t have known.

Required to marry, pregnant and all.
“Tarnish the family image”, said father,
He never was too fond of Jasper Jones,
Arranged marriage to the duke, most girls dream.

But not mine. A secret only two know,
Between broken daughter and stern father.
Bella tugs my dress asking for her dad,
If she knew how close he really is.  

“Time to go home”, but Bella starts to wine.
“Just a few more minutes then, now go play”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment