Thursday, April 25, 2013

Late afternoon by Amber Rose




Sitting here on the couch after my class
My stack of homework stares me in the eyes
Day after day the same repetition
Class after class then work then study time
Burnt out on the college life two years in
Only two years in and four more to go

Pondering about life and my future
Sixteen years I have spent in these hard chairs
Teaching to teach, retaining so little
Only twenty years young many more still
Yet I sit her sulking about the hours
Hours spent studying and with homework

Then after graduation there’s no break
A new routine as I start my career
A dreamer of traveling the whole world
No alarm clocks and no more scheduling
Just me and time to do what I want most
No deadlines no assignments, time to sleep

Here I am a deadline for a poem
A midterm approaching I should cram for
A lot more homework for other classes
Not enough money to take time from work
Not enough time to get adequate sleep
So I slug through each day, await a break  

Sitting her this late sunny afternoon
Friends off to party I sit in my room
Powering through all I have to do
Just hoping that after I graduate
After I work day after day for years
To retire and travel and sleep in



---------------------------------------------------

BY EDWARD HIRSCH
I used to mock my father and his chums
for getting up early on Sunday morning
and drinking coffee at a local spot
but now I’m one of those chumps.

No one cares about my old humiliations
but they go on dragging through my sleep
like a string of empty tin cans rattling
behind an abandoned car.

It’s like this: just when you think
you have forgotten that red-haired girl
who left you stranded in a parking lot
forty years ago, you wake up

early enough to see her disappearing
around the corner of your dream
on someone else’s motorcycle
roaring onto the highway at sunrise.

And so now I’m sitting in a dimly lit
cafĂ© full of early morning risers
where the windows are covered with soot
and the coffee is warm and bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment