Monday, April 29, 2013

Off Topic Poem by Corynn Bernhardt


Off Topic Poem by Corynn Bernhardt

A view of a sturdy brick building
A structure I go in and out of
Entering smart, coming out smarter.
One conversation on the grass,
One boy and a girl,
One in blue and the other in green.
“Hey,” the girl utters
Leaning in to get the words out
“Let me show you this.
It’s a new program I created,
But I can’t figure out
How to get this function
To work.”
Nodding, the boy leans in,
Nearly breathing the same air.
A stream of mhm’s and uh huh’s
And vah-la!
With success, the boy exclaims
It’s been fixed.
The girl is fitted with a wide grin,
Full of gratitude and fire.
Fire in her heart, setting aflame again by the blazing sun.
Their knees touching, a sunny smile shared.
His phone rings and he answers.
The trees in the quad fill the air with swishes
Of knowledge and reason.
The dirt underneath my body
Is damp, wetting my clothes.
And there, a boy, walking back and forth
On the grass, off the grass,
Down the pavement, retreating behind the clock,
thinking, “I’m done.”
And so it was. And so was he.

No comments:

Post a Comment