Monday, April 29, 2013

Guy sitting under the tree: Donovan Acuna


The sitter
The water hasn’t looked this clear in years.
The sun hasn’t shined this much in days.
The wind hasn’t swept through like this before
and all I can do is sit in the shade.
All I can do is look at them around
me and wonder what they’re thinking.
I could stay under this tree for ages.
I could sit however a crisscrossed apple
does, or I could lie down too. All so I
can truly see these people. For who I think
they really are.  Like the mother I see
who cannot see her child, wallowing
in whatever thoughts she can’t grasp onto.
Or maybe the other mother, who holds
her child to near. The one who envies
the kids running around. Owning pets too.
I imagine the couple with the monkey
prancing about, to be solemn and cold.
I mean they stand facing not one another
but the open sea. One that lets them think
about what could’ve been. Or where they might
go to get away from their familiar routine,
unlike those soldiers who live for it or
men rowing, who race by it. I sit under
this tree noticing the fluttering sails
drift along the water, reflecting the
white and blue of the ocean stirring about.
I sit under the tree contemplating.
Contemplating stories of these people
and the lives they lead – or the ones I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment