Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Flapper Girl by Kevin Du


And now we dance on cloudy grey beaches.
Swaying back and forth in slick sludgy sands.
Waltzing to distant sounds of waves crashing.
Umbrellas wave around earnestly as
small rain droplets fall soft, soaking our suits,
Drenching these dresses all without a care.

I’ve lived my life working towards 9 to 5
Anxious about the future, never in
The present. Saving for kids I don’t have.
Day in day out at the office so dull.
Where repetition can stop the mind dead.
Days ran short or went too long I can’t tell.

But then I met you, my flapper girl.
Doing whatever, whenever we want.
Taking whatever, whomever we want.
You are blooming spring flowers on gray days.
You make the dullest paintings exciting.

I’d drop everything, quit my dead end job
Just to travel around the world with you.
Wasting our time until we run it out.
Drinking  the cleanest, finest of liquors
Smoking the most elegant tobacco.
Embracing newfound life I’ve found in you.

I could never go back to 9 to 5
Back to paperwork upon paperwork.
I would rather spend my life here on cold,
Wet, beaches with wind pushing and pulling,
That dances all around us, playing tug
Of war with umbrellas held by dearest
Friends who witness us blissfully dance on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment