Monday, April 29, 2013

Shutters by Joey Ng


Shutters by Joey Ng

I have seen rebirth and it is like this;
An unheard melody quenching the thirst
For the unseen and the unsullied, All
Must be new to feed sharp pangs of hunger
With their gourmand aspirations and hopes
Of finding something worth doting upon.

In this age of quick gratification
Where anonymity is true to norm,
It is all too easy to lose your sight
Through shuttered windows stacked on each other,
Creating the illusion of vision,
Of clear images, high definition.

But with so much left to see, what is there
To touch, to love, to regale, and to breathe
Through blown glass harps that can sheathe every sword
Found in honest human interaction.


With this pittance I claim to pay my dues,
A name that rings true at low frequency.
Through shuttered screens I can direct legions
Of the expendable variety,
Though countless hours are never reclaimed

But now, with this migration through vast seas,
Lavender and holly picked straight from earth
Sits still as a wreath on our fair head
That we hold level to peer with intent.

Now I can feel, hear, think and breathe through thus
Hallowed lungs devoid of hesitation.
Through this opulent smoke I extend my
Reach and my capacity, taking it
All in with most honest interactions.
 ________________________________________________________________________________
Petersen: Kleichen and a Man
BY GEORGE SZIRTES B. 1948
I have seen eternity and it is like this,
a man and woman dancing in a bar
in a poor street on an unswept floor.

It clings and plots and is desperate,
at a point between violence and abjection,
between warmth and agoraphobic fear.

Let me reverse this and accept the fear.
Let me drop all objections to abjection,
since life itself  is desperate

and has to tread the unswept floor
carefully, lovingly, while the bar
hovers in eternity. Like this.
Source: Poetry (February 2008).

No comments:

Post a Comment