Friday, April 26, 2013

climbing trees by kimberly stutevoss


Climbing Trees

It starts as a seed like all things in life
Growing high, reaching upward to the sky
Extending its arms in every which way
For a child, it is the best jungle gym
It stands there just begging to be climbed on
I remember climbing on trees, like this
Working my way up through to the blue sky
Swinging like a monkey from branch to branch
Crawling through its tangled hair, getting lost
Finding robins nest filled with small blue eggs
The children sing and dance around the tree
Looking up, wanting to escape this world
They jump high trying to reach the lowest
Arm being extended to them, barely
All their energy into their jumps up
Are failing but one girl succeeds and grabs
Tightly she holds on while she wrestles it
She wins and continues to climb upward
With each branch she grabs I am reminded
Of the feeling I got when I climbed up
Always out of breath, racing to the top
My heart pounding fast I thought it leap out
But anxious to reach the tippy top where
The birds sang and I would feel like the king
Of the world ruling from the highest court
I hear my daughter call my name as I
Look up to see her being king of the
World. She is ruling from the highest court.
She looks upon her subjects still jumping
to reach the lowest arm, but no success.
_________________________________________

Trees

BY JOYCE KILMER
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment