Sunday, April 28, 2013

Green Shutters by: Nicole Busch


Green Shutters
By: Nicole Busch

People are putting up green shutters now,
or they were, this morning, until lunch time
drove them indoors by the powerful smell.

So, coming home around two, I saw them
hanging, half up, half laying on the ground,
the green shingles worn down from all the rain.

The ripple and splash of the deep puddles
as my tiny feet come in contact with
the clear, clear newly furnished wet water.

I saw the broken, stepped on big green chunks,
the sharp edges vary at different lengths,
each one so unique, yet they’re all the same.

Seemed that it briefly said, as I walked by,
said how could you, how could you, how could you?
I could have been a great accessory,
I could have been your great decoration.

It seems, there was dry grass bent under the
wet, broken down shutters, shielding them from
all the horrors and tortures the world showed.

I can clearly see it now, like a new
shiny mirror staring me straight back,
the shutters were our form of protection.

Shielding us from the harsh, long winter rain,
transitioning us to the spring showers,
bright, gentle, tear like drops, pitter patter.

This lonely afternoon of memories,
some strong, like these, not as fond to the brain
others, quite affectionate to my mind.

I look at them again, the tiny drops,
runs down the standing shutters and away.

 ________________________________________________________________________________


Storm Windows


People are putting up storm windows now,   
Or were, this morning, until the heavy rain   
Drove them indoors. So, coming home at noon,   
I saw storm windows lying on the ground,   
Frame-full of rain; through the water and glass
I saw the crushed grass, how it seemed to stream   
Away in lines like seaweed on the tide
Or blades of wheat leaning under the wind.
The ripple and splash of rain on the blurred glass   
Seemed that it briefly said, as I walked by,   
Something I should have liked to say to you,
Something ... the dry grass bent under the pane   
Brimful of bouncing water ... something of   
A swaying clarity which blindly echoes
This lonely afternoon of memories
And missed desires, while the wintry rain   
(Unspeakable, the distance in the mind!)
Runs on the standing windows and away.

No comments:

Post a Comment