Monday, April 29, 2013

Niles by Amy Cotter


I was asked to accompany him here.
Hold the umbrella for Master Michael;
that was my simple duty for the day. 
No one said it would be stormy, torture.
Butler training had no crash courses in
sand pelting at you from all directions.
No, instead we were trained for elegance.

No matter the weather, wardrobe is key.
A suit and tie, pressed, and a top hat see,
it was my one protection if it rained.
One cannot complain for this attire;
I can impress that fair maiden, entire.

Since Master Michael took on full command,
duties have changed from serving to wing man.
Secret outings with Madam Diana;
her maid, Claire, accompanying as well.
Miss Claire is what makes this whole problem right.
The job is bearable if she’s in sight.

Master Michael and Madam Diana
are lovers that are not meant to exist.
For their families have been enemies;
the battle for business ripping their seams.

For now, their meetings have worked on the beach.
Miss Claire and myself their decoys in reach.
We work to help them live out their life dream,
as I try to make mine come true with her.

Being a butler was forced, not chosen.
Master Michael has the life I wished for.
Miss Claire makes up for all the unfairness,
the fill to my void; my one choice in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment