Sunday, April 28, 2013

Trees by Lauren Kahle


I do think that I shall never see a
Poem that is as lovely as a tree
For trees are full of leaves that speak to me
As the wind flows and causes a rustle
Something is spoken, in a tree’s language
And a tree’s language is much better than
Any such language that I could create
And a tree is filled with such sweetness
Flowing through the body, deliverance
Syrup oozing throughout the lengthy limbs
A treat so sweet, I feast my eyes upon
Trees are full of stories and history
Each scuff mark, each blemish, seems like a scar
Telling a story behind it, also
Every ring, another year, passage,
Another journey, stationary life
And the stories are told with the rustling
Of the leaves in the cool, Oregon wind
With its own stories intertwining
What a beautiful sound, such a lovely
Story is told when these two worlds collide
A better story than I could ever
Tell, sweeter sound than any poem I
Made could ring, isn’t it such a wonder
A tree stands so tall, reaching for something
Or simply basking in the nature that
Surrounds us, the beauty in the universe
This is something much greater than I could
Ever portray—the view of the tree
BY JOYCE KILMER
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Source: Poetry (August 1913).

No comments:

Post a Comment