Monday, April 29, 2013

Early Sunday Afternoon by Connor Kaplan



Early Sunday Afternoon by Connor Kaplan
I used to mock my friends about sleeping.
Waking up late seemed stupid to young me.
Why sleep in when I can wake up early?
A whole day ahead of me to exhaust.

I could watch cartoons and see the sunrise.
Play games without being scolded by mom.
I could do homework that I should have done.
Look outside to see the bird get the worm.

So why sleep in, when you wake up your tired.
You only need to sleep so long at night.
Yet you feel accomplished that you slept long.
Ten hours, twelve hours, fourteen!
Why would you want to act like a feline.

Yet now I find myself waking up late.
No more dawn, no more birds chirping outside.
No more fresh balls of water on the grass.
No more brand new Sunday morning cartoons.
Why would I get rid of this experience.

Maybe it is due to the late nights.
Staying up until I notice the cars
 sleeping like the rest of the empty night.
Mindlessly talking with friends until they
see the small hand reach the top right corner.

A so now I find myself all alone
in the wee hours of the night and day.
The tables have turned and now sleep late
and my friends mock me and my condition.
They decided randomly as it seems
to go to bed and wake up with the bird.

Just to repeat the same thing everyday
 


----------------------------------------
 

Poem of the Day: Early Sunday Morning

Posted: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 00:00:00 -0600
I used to mock my father and his chums
for getting up early on Sunday morning
and drinking coffee at a local spot
but now I’m one of those chumps.

No one cares about my old humiliations
but they go on dragging through my sleep
like a string of empty tin cans rattling
behind an abandoned car.

It’s like this: just when you think
you have forgotten that red-haired girl
who left you stranded in a parking lot
forty years ago, you wake up

early enough to see her disappearing
around the corner of your dream
on someone else’s motorcycle
roaring onto the highway at sunrise.

And so now I’m sitting in a dimly lit
cafĂ© full of early morning risers
where the windows are covered with soot
and the coffee is warm and bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment