Sunday, April 28, 2013

Funeral By Sanjana Mahesh


Funeral
By Sanjana Mahesh

An old great uncle being burnt atop
a pile of wood, I was told stay inside
Never seen somebody unable to
move, laugh, live, just get up and walk around
a funeral is simply a good bye
or more like see you eventually

Since when was my family so quiet
Nobody was yelling or bustling
I was watching behind a window but
The crowd that surrounded him was too large
I couldn’t decide whether I should try
harder to watch or leave and let it be
Prying myself of the tall window bars
I set out in search for sorrowful ladies
Separately from the crowd outside I
Found them huddled inside reminiscing

The wife tearful yet a faint smile from the
Memories  amounted over the years
Together for forty six years till then
Why could they just still not stay together?
I didn’t understand then and I don’t now
Perhaps it was even simpler to see
As a six year old because age blinds you
I felt more susceptible to emotion
Back then when people showed you their real truth
All the women laughed in bittersweet tones
Love reunites everyone finally
Age makes you understand I realize now
Before I thought death’s sad oblivion
It’s simply a journey, one we must take

Men at My Father’s Funeral
The ones his age who shook my hand   
on their way out sent fear along   
my arm like heroin. These weren’t   
men mute about their feelings,
or what’s a body language for?

And I, the glib one, who’d stood
with my back to my father’s body
and praised the heart that attacked him?   
I’d made my stab at elegy,
the flesh made word: the very spit

in my mouth was sour with ruth
and eloquence. What could be worse?   
Silence, the anthem of my father’s   
new country. And thus this babble,   
like a dial tone, from our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment