Sunday, April 28, 2013

Little Me. By Hauoli Kahaleuahi


Gazing, gawking, I desired to be
Them, whisking off at dusk and returning
At dawn, clothing unchanged, toxic breath stench.

Instead, as she skipped across the lawn, jeans
Smothering her curves, tight, cupping her butt,
I laid frustrated beneath sheets, plotting.

It was 8 pm. I thought about what
Skimpy, stomach baring top I’d tie on
For a night out, adventuring here, there.

My mother lying close, reading her book.
I shut my eyes, pretending, my mind still
Awake, dreaming of when I’d be whisked off.

Morning. In with the sun stumble bodies,
Aching heads, moaning voices, they had fun.
Pissed, I roll my eyes, waking up in bed.

Life is funny. Today I whisk in, out,
Around, about, here and there, night and day,
Breath stench toxic, unchanged clothes, dirty filth.

Freedom is mine, independence in my
Palm, victory to my younger, little
Self, suffocated in sheets, 8 o’clock.

But what I’d give, do, to venture back to
Young nights, early bed times, my Mother there,
She reads and I dream, desire away.

Mornings of waking, knowing all that went
On the night before, having a vivid
Recollection of dinner, fried fish, yum.

Mother tucked me in, kissed my forehead, wiped
Wisps of hair from my tired eyes, love you.
What I’d give, do, to venture back, back home.


 ____________________________________

BY EDWARD HIRSCH
I used to mock my father and his chums
for getting up early on Sunday morning
and drinking coffee at a local spot
but now I’m one of those chumps.

No one cares about my old humiliations
but they go on dragging through my sleep
like a string of empty tin cans rattling
behind an abandoned car.

It’s like this: just when you think
you have forgotten that red-haired girl
who left you stranded in a parking lot
forty years ago, you wake up

early enough to see her disappearing
around the corner of your dream
on someone else’s motorcycle
roaring onto the highway at sunrise.

And so now I’m sitting in a dimly lit
cafĂ© full of early morning risers
where the windows are covered with soot
and the coffee is warm and bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment