Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My lady by Connor Deeks


My lady by Connor Deeks

“Lady, I think it’s time to be going.”
Betwixt lady-in-waiting and butler,
Stands lord Richard the third and lady Jane.
Lady Jane how I have doted on thee,
Your every wish, tallt above your servant.
I wither here, beaten by the sea’s wind,
My eyes stricken red as my lady’s dress,
By the sand kicked up midst the coming rain.

“Do you not know how childish you appear?”
Spinning shoeless, seeking sweetness from him,
A retched lord from the Archfield estate,
Stupid boy whom I slayed in math lesson,
Until the ripe age of twelve and one half,
When your father, lord of our vast estate,
Plucked me from a life of learning to work,
Nay to slave over your whimsical ways.

“Lady, my umbrella is about to snap.”
It is so windy out here, my lady,
This sand so wet I’ll be scrubbing these shoes
For hours and soaping that dress for weeks.
Or maybe I’ll put a match to it now,
A mere strike of phosphorus and it’s gone.

“That gown was for the ball my lady.”
Why do you insist on your whimsical ways?
Your father will be outraged, blamed on me
Most likely for not reporting to him
Like an indentured servant would years ago.

“My apron is ruined, my leggings torn,”
I can’t afford a new one, my lady
My outfit barely clinging together,
What am I going to do, my lady?
The weather has become grim, let us leave.

“Did you not hear me my lady? Miss Jane?”
My how I wish this storm would ravage me,
Take me from this endless servitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment