Sunday, June 2, 2013

This Twisted Maze by Megan Windom



This Twisted Maze by Megan Windom

Radiant pinks and electric blues bleed
Diffused by the haze of the rainy night,
Lights like a warm breath on a cold morning.
Roads and sidewalks turned into mirrors
For the world towering above them.

Rain drops adhere themselves to my glasses,
They give the dark streets a fun house effect.
The forms of people moving around me
Become disjointed. Large heads on normal
Bodies with tiny legs to hold the weight.

I’ve grown accustomed to no umbrella,
The cold seeping down the back of my neck.
And although my wet glasses hurt my eyes
With their distortions, I’m clever to have
Long ago learned to simply take them off.

Sans lenses, all the waterlogged buildings
Turn into a single monster, waiting
To consume me if I take one wrong turn.
The flickering lights seem to expand out,
Like little lures, always promising more.

Illumination carries suggestion.
While the neon tubes declare their intent
With the bends in their forms that reveal words,
It’s the subtle ones, the fluorescent bulbs
Hidden behind curtains, that call to me.

The glow from behind drapes or seeping through lace
Hints to the warmth within. I’m filled up now.
My wool jacket fully saturated,
The twinkling lights of this twisted maze
Only make me think of being back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment