Thursday, June 6, 2013

Plead the Fifth By Erika Beaver

Plead the Fifth By Erika Beaver

Please don’t ask me more questions
I don’t want to tell you anything
I have a right to due process
I don’t have to say a thing
Now let me go on with my day
There has been no harm done
The real guy you want has gone a-stray
I assure you, I’m not the one.
I feel like you are making me look
Like a criminal right now
I swear I’m not a crook
Don’t you raise your brow
At me, I’m telling you the truth now
Don’t you see?
I’m going to remain silent
Because that’s what I do best
Go find the real guy

Now, there’s a real test. 

Poem of the Day: Habeas Corpus

Posted:Tue, 21 May 2013 00:00:00 -0600
Knots, a thousand lights, in   
   sheer dark, aimed at my window,   
tinny crystals, so mother dies   
   in my sleep. The snow turns   
coarse, goes out. An axe sounds   
   where I'd never heard an axe before.   
Breathing becomes dangerous. I can't   
   help it, making me her, even   
before I was born, her brain burning   
   out patterns I follow like will   
o' the wisps, sparks popping.   
   I put on heels and find I can balance,   
twist my spine, bend to get my seams   
   straight on my own, no one to   
call on, like she called me, sheer nylon   
   turning on sheer skin under my palms.   
I pull on the ratty musquash coat.   
   I have the body. I move off in it,   
eddying, trying to see who I am now.   
   I totter down the street thinking,   
one day he'll be sorry. And here I am.   
   Sorry. I watch her getting smaller   
up the road. I watch us both, till   
   nothing's all there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment