Thursday, June 6, 2013


I Promise
By: JoJo Ball

The exaggerated statement of trust.
Why when you say the words “I promise”
Suddenly you’re bound to whatever you say?
Isn’t it written that you should let your
Yes’s be yes’s and your no’s be no’s?
These endearing words of certainty
Carry more weight than Atlas carrying the world.
How did this phrase become the elite one?
Aren’t for sure, I’m certain, and definitely
Synonymous with the same exact words?
This forthwright phrase of sincerity
Can single handedly determine the
Degree to which you mean what you’re saying.
In a declaration of marriage you
wouldn’t say, “I do, I promise” would you?
This ridiculous saying of honesty
is the triple exclamation point of
the overly excited birthday card.
Does it really mean anything more than
Seriously, believe me or trust me?
“I promise” is a phrase of sincerity
Or endearing words of certainty to you.
To me it’s a ridiculous saying
Of exaggeration and redundancy
But if it’s what you want to hear then,
“I promise”

No comments:

Post a Comment