Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Homework by Levi Kyllo

How does one finish a paper with the clock breathing down their neck?
The struggles of mine have to do with time and rhymes.
How am I supposed to do my homework,
When my backyard is filled with construction.
How do I concentrate, the machines take over
My mind with ease, as I become easily distracted,
Thinking about nuts and bolts and tools and manliness.

I get flustered, my face turns red,
This season has lasted longer than ever anticipated.
They said it was temporary, now not the case.
As they are working outside of Sackett,
They hardly make haste. Living in the dorms
Is annoying enough, why make us endure
This annoyance when summer is right around the buff.

This paper is due, no longer than an hour.
I have to power through, no distractions or shower.
I'm halfway finished, still having difficulty.
It hasn't been easy getting this far.
The people walking past, looking at the workers,
Wondering why this year? Why by our borders?
I wonder this every day, not even close to getting an answer.
Instead I try to forget this struggle, not hating or wishing
They be anywhere else. Because if anyone
Can endure this noise, this distraction, I am that person.

Almost finished, a few lines left to go
I think of what I would do, had I finished one day ago.
Sit back and kicked it, watching a movie
Not worrying about the rush, just relaxing and smiling.
But what fun would that be? I live for the thrill.
How do you live by planning? I cannot see.
This way of living, cannot be very free.

No comments:

Post a Comment