Wednesday, June 5, 2013

When I am asked (imitation)

When I am asked 
By Abhishek Raol

When I am asked
How I began writing poems,
I talk about the indifference of education

It was after my first term of college
Needing certain credits
Here and there

I sat at staring at my screen
A long list of courses before me
Overwhelmed with the choices
Not wanting to ever wake up early
Racing hundreds of other students
With the same worries and concerns
I look for my writing class
Introduction to Poetry



When I Am Asked
BY LISEL MUELLER

When I am asked                     
how I began writing poems,  
I talk about the indifference of nature.  

It was soon after my mother died,                  
a brilliant June day,  
everything blooming.  

I sat on a gray stone bench  
in a lovingly planted garden,  
but the day lilies were as deaf  
as the ears of drunken sleepers  
and the roses curved inward.  
Nothing was black or broken  
and not a leaf fell  
and the sun blared endless commercials  
for summer holidays.  

I sat on a gray stone bench  
ringed with the ingenue faces  
of pink and white impatiens  
and placed my grief  
in the mouth of language,  
the only thing that would grieve with me


No comments:

Post a Comment