Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I Dreamed That I Was Young By ERIKA BEAVER (imitation)

I Dreamed That I Was Young
 By ERIKA BEAVER
I dreamed that I was a baby: new to the world
At the beginning of my prime, when company
Was mine, cat-playful, and starting off curled
Before my leaves began to go a stray.

My lack of knowledge and understanding,
So much room for my mind and body
To grow. When will I start walking?
And then running in the yard with my doggy?

I wished I was older, so wise and full of knowledge.
My cozy teddies are sleeping by my side.
Once lay: I roll over to the beds ledge,
Not knowing how old I will be when I die.

Poem of the Day: I Dreamed That I Was Old

Posted: Sun, 19 May 2013 00:00:00 -0600
I dreamed that I was old: in stale declension   
Fallen from my prime, when company
Was mine, cat-nimbleness, and green invention,   
Before time took my leafy hours away.

My wisdom, ripe with body's ruin, found   
Itself tart recompense for what was lost
In false exchange: since wisdom in the ground   
Has no apocalypse or pentecost.

I wept for my youth, sweet passionate young thought,
And cozy women dead that by my side   
Once lay: I wept with bitter longing, not   
Remembering how in my youth I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment