Thursday, June 6, 2013

What’s in a Month? By ERIKA BEAVER

What’s in a Month?
By ERIKA BEAVER

I.                     
If October is like a bag of tricks,
Then May must be like a bag of treats.
If in October there is celebration of death
Then in May there must be celebration of life
These months are very different in the eyes of a child.

Earlier today I was on a long five mile walk
To school to be taught many wonderful
Things, a man on a bike passed me, he looked
Peaceful. Like he was taking in the morning
Sun, we’ve all waited so long to see.

And this too, reminds me of the happiness
And brilliance the sunshine brings.
On a warm day in May, as we lay on the beach.
Soaking in the warmth of the sun, as it wraps
Its long comforting rays around our bodies.

Once in a dream, I was on a beach,
But then all of a sudden, surrounded by water,
The air, slowly escaping my lungs,
If only I could move I could reach the surface.
But I was frozen, like a statue. Lifeless, like October.

II.                   
I never thought life could be so full errands
Some months are busier than others.
Whether its birthday party shopping in May
Or Halloween party shopping in October
There is always shopping to be done.

The worst thing you ever said to me was,
Its going to rain again tomorrow.
What a typical day in October.
Always raining, making people anti-social
Walking around with their heads down.

Listen, can you hear it?
Is it the hackling and cackling
Of jack-o-lanterns and ghosts?
Or is it the laughter and joy
Of children playing?

Once in October, I was at a Halloween party
With games, and apple bobbing. Pumpkin carving,
Hay riding and cake walking.
And of course a bon fire to keep us warm.
And to light the cold, dark night.


But this is not October, it is May.
This month is full of birthday parties
With piñatas, and slip n’ slides.
It is warm and bright and green outside
Not cold and dark like October.

No comments:

Post a Comment