Monday, June 3, 2013

If October By Sanjana Mahesh

If October is like a warm pumpkin spice latte
That’s sipped on a breezy balcony
With a cozy blanket before a busy hustle
Then may is like strawberry lemonade gulped at the pool

If October is like the death of the leaves going out with a colorful starburst
of citrusy flames then May is like
the birth of the bloom and entrance of the star on a blue carpet
with cotton clouds. The prelude to the coldness of the flakes
falling and the interlude of pumpkin spice lattes and cozy blankets

Earlier today I went on a path that led me to my house
The trees that surrounded me swallowed me
In a shell of a forest, the road went on
the green signaled allergy season and watery eyes
 A biker travels alongside bright like a blue jay flitting
past trees, the birch of the bark, spots of white and black
little leaves to the right and larger ones to the left
a curvature curve that pushes the edges expanding the scene

And this too I passed, the memorial of love and life
the world has seen so much death
glorification of tragedy, unnecessary hate
the Boston Bombings,  beyond belief the grief felt
a daughter and son buried, a child not yet age 10
harmless victims god claimed, hateful hearts stole lives
the vile tale of the two brothers destruction
Defeat found them, loss claimed Boston,
a shining city changed, more ptotected, more watched
the dead cannot be brought back, lost forever
the day begins each day yet they do not return
Every night they are past their curfew
The do not return

Once in a dream I saw turquoise
the ocean more vivid than teal
A breath taken by a stone statue
More alive than ever
I swam by, it followed
letting air bubbles to the surface
Such a large lung capacity
like a grey whale
but it was a statue

II
Perfectly paired up
everybody has a partner
a friend or a spouse
their fitting puzzle piece
the spaces between your fingers, where theirs fit
Always optimistic, never doubting
laughter claimed their voices and comfort in their friendship
complementary colors, dresses and tuxes of black and white
red lapel, placed over the heart

Believe me, what happened next
I made eye contact, too nervous to look elsewhere
but it wouldn’t respond
looked like Grawp from the Forbidden Forest
but Hagrid was nowhere around
Is it real, is it a dream
The oversize ginormous structure
statute or not, Intriguing

The worst thing you ever said to me was
you deserve that
Why though
You don’t know me
You don’t know my life
Started from the bottom now we here
Lyrics on repeat
Like a broken cassette, those lay outdated
Like us

These days I feel like I’m picked up, flying, floating
Summer so soon releases the weight so I jump
the finals holding me back and frustrated
but I feel farther up than down
without a care but my wings are tied
only carried for now, cannot be release

Listen because life is told from the lips of others
Elders, younger and peers
the insight to share experiences you won’t have time for
The sharing of those that achieve

Once in October, a colorful celebration
a dance of a mirage I flew through the new year
It’s May and I have a memory that changed me forever



No comments:

Post a Comment