Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Dreamed That I was Young By Melissa Campana


I Dreamed That I Was Young

I dreamed that I was young: in fresh condition
Following princesses
And learning addition
In little pink dresses.

Naïve, with plenty of time to learn
Not to stick my finger in an outlet
For I will get shocked and burned
Attention to details-I won’t forget.

Then I hit thirteen and wanted to be thirty
It’s ironic how that would be better
Than being full of youth and nerdy,
Wearing grandma’s knit Christmas sweater.



 _________________________________________________________________________________


Posted: Sun, 19 May 2013 00:00:00 -0600
I dreamed that I was old: in stale declension   
Fallen from my prime, when company
Was mine, cat-nimbleness, and green invention,   
Before time took my leafy hours away.

My wisdom, ripe with body’s ruin, found   
Itself tart recompense for what was lost
In false exchange: since wisdom in the ground   
Has no apocalypse or pentecost.

I wept for my youth, sweet passionate young thought,
And cozy women dead that by my side   
Once lay: I wept with bitter longing, not   
Remembering how in my youth I cried.

Stanley Kunitz,

No comments:

Post a Comment