Monday, June 3, 2013

"When I heard the Learn'd Astronomer" imitation By Sanjana Mahesh

The Sky can spell
By Sanjana Mahesh
Summer skies are the peak of life
stare north upstairs, not a gentle glance
but with the insight of lost beacons
I wander
I wonder
I will
not lose sight, not lose song, not lose ­self
but what to win
what to gain
the summer brings solace
answers that need answering, questions that need questioning
one that leads to another, like a constellation never ending
the universal truth holds account of our lies
wherever there is watch, there is guidance by fear of the future
do the secrets spill, do the stars share, does the sun shade
what’s behind and above us all, a backdrop of elevated trenches


When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment