Thursday, June 6, 2013

A life that could not have been By Madelyn Miller

 
The Life that could not have been:

I saw a woman once.
She had a peacock feather painted on her collar bone.
It protruded toward me in vibrant colors.
I wondered what paint-can held its hues of mulberry.

My nephew played horse shoe, with a mysterious man.
He looked like someone I knew.
I was attracted to his mystery.
My gaze was of wonder, not of lust but he was erking my intuition.

I thought to myself, what is his favorite color?
Does he pray to the prophet Mohammad?
I sensed that he was adventurous, and would venture to a place unknown.
Like Jupiter with its bellowing rings.


I looked out toward the lake.
A cool rush came over me.
Stumbling towards it, I realized I had one too many.
And though it was breezy, I pictured myself in a swanky setting.

Images of Southern California in 1975.
Shag carpet and a train wreck of a house party.
The mysterious man laughing with me. 
My calico cat warmed my feet.
There was a ridiculously lavish dinosaur painting on the wall.

How extravagant I thought.
I was pampered in that moment.
Like the women with the peacock collar bone.
And her life that could not have been mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment