Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Four Letter Word by Amy Cotter

I dare you to try
and not to say it.
Difficult, isn’t it?
Even I,
who hates to say this word,
have problems
trying not to use it 
in a sentence.
It is so easy
to pick this word,
with the multiple meanings
that it can entail.
Applied to pop culture
and literature of all kinds,
the l-word sneaks up on us all.
But that’s the problem,
this constant use
diluting the true meaning
of this word.
Arguing
that the true meaning
is lost, is futile since
the definition
is so diverse when asked.
Challenge yourself
not to say it.
That is my sole message for today.
Cherish the rightful meaning
of this word
in order to bring happiness
into the world.
 ________________________

BY CYNTHIA HUNTINGTON
For ten years I would not say the name.
I said: episode. Said: setback, incident,
exacerbation—anything but be specific
in the way this is specific, not a theory
or description, but a diagnosis.
I said: muscle, weakness, numbness, fatigue.
I said vertigo, neuritis, lesion, spasm.
Remission. Progression. Recurrence. Deficit.

But the name, the ugly sound of it, I refused.
There are two words. The last one means: scarring.
It means what grows hard, and cannot be repaired.
The first one means: repeating, or myriad,
consisting of many parts, increasing in number,

happening over and over, without end.

No comments:

Post a Comment