Monday, May 13, 2013

The Life That Could Have Been by Kimberly Stutevoss


The Life That Could Have Been

The color of periwinkle fills my eyes
As I open the can of paint
The strong smell encompasses me
And fills me with the memories
That I shared with Kareem Abdul Jabbar
On that warm evening in June
Sipping on PiƱa Coladas
And eating grapes in front of the ocean

The ocean was my favorite color of blue
Crystal like and beautiful
Taking off my socks
I walked through the sand
Until reaching the waves
We spent that warm evening in June
In Southern California
Enjoying our favorite meal,
Lobster bisque with crab cakes
That I had made by using a can opener
To open the ingredients
In the distance train sounds were softly passing
Adding an ice touch to our picnic
Until we heard the noises of its crash
The noise of the crash filled the air
We were too far to help but we prayed
To the profit Muhammad

As the evening went on
It got darker and Mars was shining bright
As well as its moon, Deimos
The stars shined bright
We made our own constellations,
One looked like a Cera dinosaur
And others looked like calico cats
We played a game of horseshoes
And slept in our mystery van
That had a tacky brown shag rug
It wasn’t the cleanest van
Because we always found ants
Marching one by one
We ignored them and drank our coffee
Talking about if we could go anywhere
Where would we go.
My wish was an African Safari
While his was to see a peacock
Because of their lovely feathers.

It was a warm evening in June
But a distant memory now
I like to think back to it
Reminding me of simpler times.

No comments:

Post a Comment