Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I Dreamed That I Was Old By Ellyssa Pearce



I dreamed that I was old , my skin patent leather
Wrinkled by the sun that was the youthful days.
Hearing stories in my ears that for some reason I need to
Share,
A lesson I need to teach to the soon to bes.

Sad to know my prime has swept away
And wisdom finding a path through my veins.
I brush my fingers along the flowers that
Wish
To take my skin decomposed.

I want it all back, the sun of youthful days
Stop the rush of wanting the next day to come
And slow the course of wishful
Action
Wake up and escape the bitter longing
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Dreamed That I Was Old

by Stanley Kunitz
I dreamed that I was old: in stale declension
Fallen from my prime, when company
Was mine, cat-nimbleness, and green invention,
Before time took my leafy hours away.

My wisdom, ripe with body’s ruin, found
Itself tart recompense for what was lost
In false exchange: since wisdom in the ground
Has no apocalypse or pentecost.

I wept for my youth, sweet passionate young thought,
And cozy women dead that by my side
Once lay: I wept with bitter longing, not
Remembering how in my youth I cried

No comments:

Post a Comment