Tuesday, May 21, 2013

All the new feeling is about loss- Madelyn Miller


All the new thinking is about loss:

Pressure and whirling, and wind in my hair.
I sat near a tower where day lilies bloom.
My sister called to me nagging my ratty appearance.
But I was outside; I liked the grit in my toenails and the grass in my locks. 

I had spent plenty of days alone.
Sidewalk sitting…monkey bar swinging.
I never had my hair curled in prefect ringlets like hers.
My twisted tangles resembled hers anyway; they were just free is all. 

I closed my eyes tight until speckles flooded my lids.
I was a trapeze artists flying between branches.
I can’t believe I could do it with my eyes shut.
She struggled to reach a branch.

I saw the beauty in her failure. 
I remember in class once, I spilled the glitter.
Before others could scold me she pattered my direction with a broom.
“Don’t mind them”, she said, patting my on the head.
Later that night we laughed about the pixie trail our shoes left in dads office. 



I still recall my sister’s prideful gazes. She was poked fun at me.
But I know how much we adored each other.
We would bask in glittering speckles.
 We stampeded in the day lily patches. 




No comments:

Post a Comment