Thursday, May 23, 2013

Saints by Chad Lahr

Saints


The ones who sat and stared eyes of pity
upon me, though I didn’t want any
made my skin crawl, I wanted them gone.
Wearing a black cloud, dying to escape prison bars, I
longed to crash through the stained glass, sending bits
of lead and colored window through that church,
lighting up the dead air with a rainbow
of razors; a shattered spectrum of saints.

I, entranced in thought, listening,
but not. Tinnitus drowning out prayers,
ringing in my ears a sad eulogy.
Words: shallow, songs: empty.

Choke back the feeling,
a cold sweat or light shiver down my neck
it moves through the chin and lower lip;
the quiver, the swallow, tears welling up.
It took everything to keep it inside.

No word in English can say
what was felt between church pews,
dusty holy books posing more questions
than they could answer on my darkest day,
recanted on his, anyhow.
Find comfort in knowing the future,
like a potpourri pendulum, it swings
on, marking seconds as they tick by;
the fading coals of incense.



From "Men at My Father’s Funeral
BY WILLIAM MATTHEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment