Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Things I learned from My Mother- Jeannette Beebout


Things I Learned From My Mother Imitation

I learned from my mother how to cook. She
would pick me up from school, sun beating down
on the top of my head, at 3:07 every day. The red
Jeep would pull up, if my sister was in the back seat,
it was going to be a good day. If she was in the front,
though, it would be bad. My mom made me wash my
hands, but my stomach told me that I couldn’t do it
fast enough. My mom taught me how to care for others,
the old ladies and men we watched over at the retirement
home that we worked at. They had wheelchairs and
walkers in toe. I learned how to care for myself too.
Hygiene was a priority in my house, thank you, and
make-up was always a must have. Although she could not
afford to buy me clothes, when I purchased them
myself, she knew which outfits would look best together.
She also taught me to never throw the first punch,
but to defend myself to the end, and if I did not,
she’d have the wrath of God waiting for me when I got
home. Some thing I am proud to say I gave to my mother
was smarts. I helped her out with her homework when I
was a kid. We were opposite that complimented each other
nicely. We were best friends. I had book smarts, and she
had street smarts. It just worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment