Thursday, May 23, 2013

Legs by Megan Windom (edit)



Legs by Megan Windom

My art teacher said: Look, think, make a mark
Look, I told myself, and pushed to make the
Crucial connection that would engage me.

Everyone knows a cow has four legs,
Two circles with four stems dripping from the
Bottom and splotchy patterns on the side
Will suffice.  Look, my teacher would
Surely tell me, they are nothing like that.

Likeness is the thing.  First, look at what’s near,
The delicate foot with toes pointing at
The pen that’s hooked into my eye.  Gesture
Needs to be ensnared before the details.

Looking destroys the way I see the world.
Nothing is whole, but the relation of
Parts that come into close proximity
With light accenting some, hiding others.
But they’re broken. Incomplete.  They require

Some subtle substance.  There’s more intent than
The surface is willing to expose. Or
There should be. Concepts act as driving force
Behind the angle of her wrist where her
Hand dips down to drape across her red knee.

The figure to be drawn – roughly my age.
She’s perched upon a platform, no single
Angle of modesty afforded her.
The corner of the room becomes her friend.
She watches it raptly while we watch her.

Look. Okay. But the eye is no longer
Seeing. It thinks in pools of light and dark.
Pause, draw an inch.  Erase to start over.
Everyone knows a woman has two legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment