Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Aunt's Imitation- Jeannette Beebout


Jeannette Beebout                                                                                          “The Aunts” Imitation

Her welcome is often overstayed however,
it is expected of women like that.
She beams with questions about my school
and pushes me to lose my baby fat.
She never graduated high school, yet
She holds a Ph.D. in gossiping.
Advice we don’t ask for from a face wrinkled by time,
This woman needs no alcohol, for rowdy enough is she.
The enjoyment she has to critique another,
is intoxicating enough for her.
The bossiest woman you could ever meet,
If you get on her bad side, that’s not an easy feat.
She’s got Southern charm and her word is law.
One can wonder why she’s got a lion’s roar
Do they call this vicarious living? Or
Does she bring you down for jealousy’s sake?
Neither- her flawless ability to punish owes
it’s credit to her loving heart of gold,
and the fear she bears to lose her kin and those she calls her own.
She cares too much and you must believe it is her curse.
Bossy, yes, but unbelievably the
Most loving woman any man could want
The closest thing to a mother and under it all
A strong willed woman who’d never let me fall.
She didn’t have to, but I’m glad she did.
Always speaking about how I changed her life,
But she couldn’t be more wrong, because the truth is,
She makes me better, and my world without her
Is unimaginable, of course Angie
I have and always will adore my aunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment