Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Early Sunday Morning Imitation


Jeannette Beebout        
WR 241/ Biespiel
April 29, 2013
Imitation Poem “Early Sunday Morning- Edward Hirsch”
I used to mock my father and his chums
for going to school early but falling
asleep by one. Heavy eyelids, mind shot,
and the inability to think straight.
Is it worth it? The four years spent
adding knowledge to provide for your world.
Years down the road, I find myself doing
the same thing whenever I can. A nap
here and there, a few moments of shut eye.
College is exhausting and now I drink
a similar warm, bitter, sludgy black drink.
The magic black gold hits my lipsand I
get a feeling, high above the clouds, I
can remember those things I truly miss.
Take me back, take me back to those days of
genuine happiness. Of friendships known
surrounded by hot air as I relax
aside the lake. Those were my true chums.
No money? No problem. No education?
Nobody cares. I traded in my love
or better yet, infatuation with
cold beer to the addiction of hot java
just to have a title behind my name.
And instead of the scorching sun, I am
sitting in a dimly lit café full
of similar college students alike.
They have insomnia just like me.
Instead of soaking up vitamin D,
they are sorting and shuffling through life
soaking up knowledge at this place called OSU.

No comments:

Post a Comment