Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mother's Imitation by Jeannette Beebout


Mothers Imitation

My mom was a reader. Her type was V.C. Andrews.
Only when I was a child though. The thick pages
and small print was too much for me to handle,
or so I thought, was the reason I wasn’t allowed to
read them. Flowers in the Attic and Heaven’s Gate
had the prettiest covers. I wanted to look like those
girls did. As I grew up, those paperbacks became less
and less frequent around the house, and moved with us,
from apartment to apartment, until they finally were
never unpacked. My mom didn’t go to high school, she
dropped out and had two kids by the age of 14. She was no
scholar, but neither was she illiterate. Books upon books,
hers, or ours, she enjoyed a good read, especially romance
and mystery. I thank her for the passion I have for books.
Some day, when the endless duties of mothering can be done,
or put on hold for a while, I hope she has the ability to
pick up a book once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment