Monday, May 27, 2013

Living Forever by Connor Kaplan



Living Forever by Connor Kaplan
I daydreamed that I was old: in great “health”   
Risen from my prime, when imagination
Was mine, forever thinking of the what ifs,   
Before science took my false reality.

My wisdom, polished like the metal that contained me, found   
Itself calculating what I could have had
In false exchange: living for immortality   
Has no “weakness”, no “limits”.

I wept for my youth, maybe this is not what I wanted,
weeping for the pain, the feelings that no longer exist,
Is this a future I want?
Living forever at the cost of my youth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poem of the Day: I Dreamed That I Was Old

Posted: Sun, 19 May 2013 00:00:00 -0600
I dreamed that I was old: in stale declension   
Fallen from my prime, when company
Was mine, cat-nimbleness, and green invention,   
Before time took my leafy hours away.

My wisdom, ripe with body’s ruin, found   
Itself tart recompense for what was lost
In false exchange: since wisdom in the ground   
Has no apocalypse or pentecost.

I wept for my youth, sweet passionate young thought,
And cozy women dead that by my side   
Once lay: I wept with bitter longing, not   
Remembering how in my youth I cried.

Stanley Kunitz,

No comments:

Post a Comment