Monday, May 27, 2013

imitation #9

I Dreamed I was Young
By: Lauren Jernberg 

I dreamed that I was young and full of life.
I was in my prime running free.
No responsibilities holding me back.
Never worrying about what is ahead.

My life once rich, like candy apples,
Has fallen from the tree.
Growing older every minute
Longing for the youth we once had

I have lived through many things.
Some you wish you could forget or change.
You wish to go back but can’t.

I had a dream that I was young.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Dreamed that I was old 
By: Stanley Kunitz

 I dreamed that I was old: in stale declension   
Fallen from my prime, when company
Was mine, cat-nimbleness, and green invention,   
Before time took my leafy hours away.

My wisdom, ripe with body’s ruin, found   
Itself tart recompense for what was lost
In false exchange: since wisdom in the ground   
Has no apocalypse or pentecost.

I wept for my youth, sweet passionate young thought,
And cozy women dead that by my side   
Once lay: I wept with bitter longing, not   
Remembering how in my youth I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment