Monday, May 13, 2013

Corolla Whorl by Megan Windom



Corolla Whorl by Megan Windom

I.
If October is like a garden then May is like a field.
October brings with it the harvest,
full of plump pumpkins ready to be plucked
and baked into pies or carved away as decorations
for the front porch.  To be nestled in
amongst the piles of red and yellow
leaves that wait patiently for the children
who will scatter them away again. 
But May is opportunity. 
An open field that doesn’t hint if
it will be overgrown by wild flowers
or simply roll out the grass from the year
before with spatterings of golden dandelions
waving in the breeze as they slowly wither
into white puffs blown away with the wind,
only to blossom once more in some other field.

Earlier today a road curved around a fence,
crowded by trees with branches full of green leaves
so tightly fitted
to each other that the sun was unable
to penetrate the ground beneath them. 
A biker in a sky blue jacket was hunched
over his handle bars, oblivious to the shadows
as he leaned slightly to the right and followed
the white line at the edge of the road.  He moved
outside the bike lane, but that was okay
because no cars came toward him
or moved up behind him – the road was his alone. 
Except for the trees that reached
overhead and would eventually try to claim it
by dropping their leaves on it, covering their possession.

And this too was lost beyond the untouchable
 shadows under the trees. 
Where stones grew from the ground,
spaced evenly, but not grown the same. 
In the morning mist, the tallest were illuminated,
by the grace of their stature,
looking like silhouettes
against the glow of the fog.  The sun swept
across the fields, trying to reach each small stone.

Once in a dream I tried to breathe water. 
It didn’t hurt because I was made of stone. 
I watched the air as it left my lungs and rose
above my head in small bubble clusters. 
The sun was playing
across the surface of the water.
I closed my eyes to try to feel it, only to find
the blue water wrapped around me too snugly.

II.
I never thought life could be a waltz.  I speak in threes, but
count in twos leading up to fours.  The Foxtrot
is how I live, a beat for each arm and leg,
moving in circles and stopping in each corner
of the box we occupy.  I was once
the wallflower smiling away the anxiety
from having no partner, yet for years
now you’ve spun me around the floor
between steps on each other’s toes.

Believe me, what happened next
both turned my head and made me look
through the corners of my eyes – trying to see
and not see.  There are days like that,
when the problems seem to grow so
large that they’re hard to look at, but encroach
upon my peripheral no matter which direction
I look.  Perhaps in these situations it would be better
to stand firm and give them
an unwaveringly hard look.

The worst thing you’ve said to me
was “I’ve ruined everything”

These days I’m like the female trapeze artist,
hanging only by your arm that’s wrapped
around my waist as you cling to the bar,
trying to balance yourself and lift me up. 
This isn’t how I actually see myself. 
I haven’t felt that helpless for some time now,
and though I know I’ve let you swing me
through the air before, sometimes I think
I’m the only one holding the ropes now
while you dangle dangerously at my wrists
thinking it’s you who has a hold of me.

Listen: I’m pulling in and forcing out
each gasp of air to feel the blood pulse
through my head.  There’s much I don’t know,
but simply feeling my chest rise and fall
to the steady droning of the birds in trees
outside my window is enough to excite
my tranquility. I live to feel the vibrations
of the land humming around me.

Once in October, we lost ourselves in a corn maze.
We went out with a large group of friends,
bought cider, hot chocolate, and neon glow sticks
to wear around our wrists.  As the crowd surged
forward – eager to navigate the unlit paths – we slowed
down, hung back, and made a break
in the opposite direction when they weren’t looking. 
Adam only came with us because he wouldn’t walk
in front of us, but our hands grazed each other as
we ran, taking shortcuts where we weren’t supposed to
until we were completely lost. 
Our maps did little to show where we were.

But it is not October, it is May,
and right now the fields are full of grass. 
The dandelions are popping up, but I can’t wait
for them to turn into fluff and float away.  Instead
I think I’ll pick them all to cover you
and claim you as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment