Thursday, May 9, 2013

October is like...


October By: Lauren Jernberg

Part 1
If October is like the pain
Of a family losing
A loved one. Crying, grieving,
Wishing for more time.
Sitting in an empty room full of
People with nothing to say.
Then May is like a new life
Entering the world. You hold
Them tight and never let
Them go. For they will be gone too soon.

Earlier today I was driving down
The road. A biker ahead disappears
Around the corner. I go on hoping
On one is on the other side. I turn
The corner. My life flashes. Me
Playing games with siblings as kids.
Learning to ride my first bike
And getting scratched along the way.
Graduation from high school, my
First year in college, then I realize
Everything was fine.

And this too
The cross bold in the sun
I am back in church as a kid.
Coloring but listening as well.
The pastor talks about Jesus and
How he saved us. I look up
To the cross in the back,
Sun shining on it making it
Glow. A halo of light sits atop of it.
I am amazed and stop in mid coloring
To listen. Not knowing what to hear
I wait. The things you hear in church.

Once in a dream we went to the beach.
It was nice and sunny out.
My friends took me diving
Even though we didn’t know how.
We saw wonderful things as we dove.
I knew we were not in Oregon anymore.
But we run out of air.
Gasping for a breath we watch
The bubbles fade away.

Part 2

I never thought life would be
Like this. Free from the problems
Of reality. We dance. I love to dance
With my two left feet but
He doesn’t seem to mind.
We spin round and round on
The dance floor happy to be together.
I never thought I could be this happy.
He completes my life.
Together forever till death do us part.

Believe me, what happened next
Was not what you would expect.
We went our ways for he
Had to leave. My life
Was afraid of what would be.

The worst thing you ever said
To me was, you are a great friend.
A friend? Just a friend was what
I was and it felt like a lie to me.

These days I feel like falling.
A never ending fall wondering
Where it will take me.
Letting myself go.
Falling into emotions that are
Over running my life. Waiting
For someone to catch me.

Once in October
I met a guy. He swept me
Off my feet but it all was a lie.
I fell so hard that I couldn’t go back
He left me there with a picture.
Told me he would be back.
Where is he now?

But it is not October anymore
It is May. Wishing for time I don’t
Have. It was gone too soon.
Everything flashes before me
Then disappears just as fast.
The bold sun falls on him.
He glows with a smile.
He is home from the war.
I fall into him and he catches me.
This is what I have been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment