Sunday, May 5, 2013

Boyfriend's Bed by Kathleen Fellows


On summer nights I sleep under covers
in my queen sized bed I share with him.
My bed is in deep need of a headboard
and complains every time I move around.

The bed is from my boyfriend’s childhood,
which is why I think it doesn’t like me,
because I am the new stray he brought home
but we aren’t in its original house
so it should show a little gratitude
we didn’t replace it with something new.

When we moved, we kept most of our old things.
All of our apartments since have been jammed,
full of belongings we can some times use
and a couple items we always need.

Every time we’ve moved, it’s been by ourselves.
No one has helped us or rented with us
and no one plans to when it is brought up.
I’m not sure what’s wrong with the two of us.
I wonder if we ruined each other
in some way to which we’re ignorant of
and now no one wants to deal with us two.

In the day we walk around together,
aware of social rules everyone wants.

We disagree on religion a bit
like some sort of dissent plurality
since he is pagan and I atheist
but they aren’t different enough to argue,
which is just what’s needed to live together,
fighting about all the simple aspects
of us both being first world residents.

_________________________________________________________________________


A Letter of Recommendation by Yehuda Amichai 1924–2000
Translated By Chana Bloch and Stephen Mitchell

On summer nights I sleep naked
in Jerusalem. My bed
stands on the brink of a deep valley
without rolling down into it.

In the daytime I walk around with the Ten
Commandments on my lips
like an old tune someone hums to himself.

Oh touch me, touch me, good woman!
That’s not a scar you feel under my shirt, that’s
a letter of recommendation, folded up tight,
from my father:
“All the same, he’s a good boy, and full of love.”

I remember my father waking me for early prayers.
He would do it by gently stroking my forehead, not
by tearing away the blanket.

Since then I love him even more.
And as his reward, may he be wakened
gently and with love
on the Day of the Resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment