Sunday, May 5, 2013

Keppra by Kathleen Fellows


Living from pill to pill, from insurance,
what doesn’t kill me only makes me poor.
Pain is not physical or emotion,
but mental from a lacking memory.

Waiting for more medicine takes a while,
makes me more sick, causes my brain to break.

Screams alert the start of a fit to come,
then it kicks in and is over shortly.
I am told of the frightening event,
over and over again countlessly.

An hour later, my mind is awake,
matching the consciousness of my body.
Then it is time to panic and to sob.
At least they stopped calling an ambulance
like they would have news to tell me about.

The first time it happened, I woke in one.
I still have night mares about it today.
The EMT asked of my allergies.
I said, “I’m allergic to strawberries.”

In the hospital, I remained out,
my brain only half way awake in there.
My mom walked in and cried when she saw me.
I can’t recall another time like that,
when it was that blissful to see someone.

I know I am lucky to have that mom
and it sucks that a lot of people don’t
Because some people have dumb, drug-filled lives
that are from a lack of some affection.
I am glad my meds are for a disease.
I would rather have that kind of problem.

__________________________________________________________________


Meds by Cynthia Huntington

Living from pill to pill, from bed to couch,
what doesn’t kill me only makes me dizzy.
Pain dissolves like chalk in water,
grit on the bottom of the glass.

Waiting takes forever,
throbs to the soles of my feet, Bella noche . . .

Hives as large as mice hump up under my skin
(“no more barbiturates for you, Cynthia!”)
—itch, stretch, I don’t fit my flesh—
sting, tingle, prick, the sorcerer’s threat.

There’s a knife stabbed through my left eye.
My right foot is made of elephant hide
and weighs in at roughly one cartload of potatoes.
Oxygen twenty-four hours; I’m swelled with steroids,

prednisone buzz in the brain; a motel room
with sixteen foreign workers sleeping in shifts,
playing reggae at three a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment