Monday, May 6, 2013

Wide (2nd Ekphrastic)- By Hauoli Kahaleuahi




Wide, open to the horizon line and
Beyond, these scenes I like, I am drawn to
What is mountainous and vast, whatever is
Not yet tainted, rather contamina-
ted, intoxicated through the finger-
tips of man and womankind, destroyers,
killers, murderers of what you see here.

Buildings, are they seen atop snow-capped tips?
Does concrete drip, suffocate undergrowth?
Where land, brown, green, is licked by the stretching
Water, are eyes fixed upon shoreline built
Villas? Disturbing, disgusting they sit,
Supported by towering stilts, hearts sore.

Breath, steadily stand, for here you don’t see
Sights that tempt tears, call for cries, weep weary.
Here is given a square, a slice, a piece,
A nibble, a vision, beautiful, rather
Magnificent, untouchable, sadly
Unfamiliar to a clouded mind
Only clothed by windows thirty stories.

Here, where a sky blended of blues and whites,
Dark and light, and a river twists, squirms,
Hugs isolated corners, is heaven,
A snapshot of God, the resurrecting
Homeland of the faithful, the hopeful ones,
Those who led and fought to see lands like this.

Welcome me I pray, keep my soul in mind.
How I would love to roam above, beyond
Rolling regions, to splash, swim at the edge.
Before reaching, my promise to you, to
Protect what is precious, lands like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment