Wednesday, May 15, 2013

If October by Rachael Jones


One…
If October is like a child orange stained hands
Hours continuously scraping, digging, and carving
Creating an image with pumpkins,
Preparing for joyous celebrations,
Then may is like my yellow and green stained jeans
Countless hours rolling, sleeping, and playing
Within the fields of our childhood
Daydreaming of castles and faraway lands
Roaming those lands with you.

Earlier today I didn’t see a bend in the road
Nor notice the tall white poles with reflecting lights
The light was being blocked by trees,
Green over taking the land in every direction.
Not even the bark with its grooves and crevices could be seen
What I did see was the break in the land
A shinny sliver gate, that blocks my path

And that is where I would lay
Just to be near your name
Your place of rest
I look to the heaves and your light
Caresses my face, as you did when I was child
No more darkness, although I cannot see
Your rays wrap me in yours arms again,
Cuddling on the couch, no sounds, no lights.
I stare into the sky, a tear lumps in my eye
To leave a trail on my face.

Two…
I never thought life could be a dance
As a child I ran in my dress
Shoes flat to ground and still able to fall
Scared of the boys and cooties
Now as an adult I float and twirl around
My dress flows in every direction
My shoes now heels,
Give me the advantage to see new heights
I flow with the crowd
Like when you would teach me dance
And that boys didn’t have cooties.  

Believe me, what happened next
Also came to me as a surprise
I became the social outcast
Against the norm, to be naked
Tall and round, ashamed of the world.
The worst thing you could have said
“One day I must go, to leave,
To not return, you will be fine.
Dance and play and dream on my sweet girl”
I didn’t know that after May you would leave me.

These days I feel like
I would get lost with a map in hand
My path hidden by trees
Although my feet have left a trail
My destination worthless
My compass just spins.

Listen, for all persons make mistakes:
A child falls when walking
            He must simply rise again.
When I leave you now
            You will meet with Saint Peter later.
I may be gone
            But you must go on.

In October my love will return to me
By my side for nineteen years
He left me alone, lying by the wrong gate
Looking for answers within the light
I’m waiting for the days to pass

But it isn’t October and it is May
You are gone and cannot comfort me
From all my sorrows. A brisk breeze takes
Me back to our time exploring the lands.   

No comments:

Post a Comment