Monday, May 13, 2013

Hi Mom! by Adam Bishop (Very Rough Draft)


Hi Mom! by Adam Bishop

The neighbors were banging on the door.
Apparently, some people expect
You to be out of bed
By the time the sun has set.

I got up,
They yelled.  I screamed.
They left.
I guess I was victorious.

Until another knock came at the door.
I gave them the finger
Verbally, but there was still a persistent annoyance
At the entrance.

The excitement from before
Had lingered on like the whispers
From the empty bottle next to your
Cold fingers, aching for another sip.

I gave the person ten more seconds.
Ten more seconds and
This jackass was about to miss
That abusive hand of his.

He continued to beat my door.
There was going to be a dead man
In about two seconds.
And then my phone went off.

“Hi!  Would you like to learn about your Lord and savior?”
Had my phone not interrupted
Our holy encounter,
Maybe he’d have his own pair upstairs.

The person on the other end of the line
Got an earful himself,
Until I had realized that it was
That one Sunday most men don’t wish to forget.

I had gotten her some flowers,
A box of chocolates
And most of the other meaningless objects
That say “I love you,” with the added costs.

She was happy that I took the time
Out of my horrifically busy day
To acknowledge how much
Of a horror I was for her.

The conversation ended,
And I was determined
To not be a sloth
And get some work done.

I washed myself up,
Got dressed,
Made an afternoon breakfast
And was ready for the adventure.

The door, or what was left of it,
Remained hinged to the side of the wall.
I pulled it open and suddenly remembered
Why it was a sin to work on the Sabbath.

“Hi!  Would you like to learn about your Lord and savior?”
The nut was still outside,
And now that Mom had already called,
I was free to crack this one open.

No comments:

Post a Comment