Monday, May 6, 2013

Glance at your Work by Kathleen Fellows


With a glance of your eyes tell me
exactly what I should be looking at
and what is the best way to appreciate
another collection such as this one
where the characters show age over time
and hidden motifs are unseen by most.
Please tell me how to notice those motifs
and how to stop buying all of your work.

At the beginning of each piece of work,
the writer tells a story you’re often in          
about an ordinary happening
where you simply, harshly, embarrass them
and it makes them realize where they stand
and how stuck they are calling you teacher.

Your perfect drawing sensibility
has changed how society views artists
in terms of intellect and common sense.
My artist friend could learn so much from you
but she creates her own awful style
that she seems to think is working so well
and maybe it would if she would follow
at least one person’s advice, anyone’s.

I commission her for art, not liking it.
It wouldn’t be right to take my business
and go to another artist out there.
It would be a disaster if they knew
and told her I was cheating with another.
I would lose a good friend, a not so great one,
but still a good friend, not always loyal,
but in the end worth the waste of money.





(“With a glance of your eyes...”) by Rabindranath Tagore
                                                      XII

With a glance of your eyes you could plunder all the wealth of songs struck from poets’ harps, fair woman!
But for their praises you have no ear; therefore do I come to praise you.
You could humble at your feet the proudest heads of all the world;
But it is your loved ones, unknown to fame, whom you choose to worship; therefore I worship you.
Your perfect arms would add glory to kingly splendor with their touch;
But you use them to sweep away the dust, and to make clean your humble home; therefore I am filled with awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment